Thursday 22 March 2012

Goddess Isis 1



An aretalogy is a kind of list, stating a deity´s virtues. There are several of these for Aset. An early form of aretalogy were probably short statements made by the deities as early as the Coffin Texts. In Spell 148 Aset says about herself:
I am Aset, one more spiritlikand august than the gods.
Whether the Aretalogy given below is Egyptian or Greek in origin is not totally clear. In the text are evidences for both. This one is older than the hymns on Philae temple walls, but it dates from the Ptolemeian period and is one of the few which has come down to us in complete form:
I am Isis, ruler of every land
I was taught by Hermes (Thoth) and with Hermes devised
letters, both hieroglyphic and demotic, that all might not
be written with the same.
I gave laws to mankind and ordained
what no one can change
I am the eldest daughter of Kronos
I am the wife and sister of King Osiris
I am the one who discovered wheat for mankind
I am the mother of King Horus
I am the one who rises in the Dog-star
I am the one called Goddess by women
For me was built the city of Bubastis
I separated the earth from the Heaven
I showed the paths of the stars
I regulated the course of the sun and the moon
I devised the activities of seamanship
I made what is right strong
I brought together woman and man
I assigned to women to bring into
light of day their infants
in the tenth month
I ordained that parents should be loved by children
I imposed punishment upon those unkindly disposed
towards their parents
I with my brother Osiris put an end to cannibalism
I taught men the initiation into mysteries
I instructed them to revere images of the gods
I established the sacred cult places of the gods
I abolished the rules of the tyrants
I put an end to murders
I compelled women to be loved by men
I made the right stronger than gold and silver
I ordained that the true should be considered good
I devised marriage contracts
I assigned to Greeks and barbarians their languages
I made the good and the bad to be distinguished by nature
I made that nothing should be more fearful than an oath
I have delivered him who unjustly plots against others into
the hands of the one against whom he plotted
I impose retribution upon those who do injustice
I decreed that mercy be shown to suppliants
O honor those who justly defend themselves
With me the right has power
I am the mistress of rivers and winds and sea
No one is honored without my consent
I am the Mistress of War
I am the Mistress of the thunderbolt
I calm the sea and make it surge
I am in the rays of the sun
I attend the sun in its journey
What I decree, that is also accomplished
All yield to me
I set free those who are in bonds
I am the Mistress of seamanship
I make the navigable un-navigable, whenever I so decide
I founded enclosure walls of the cities
I am called the Lawgiver
I brought up islands out of the depths into the light
I am the Mistress of rain
I conquer Destiny
Destiny obeys me
Hail, O Egypt, that nourished me!


Original text from here:
http://www.philae.nu/philae/aretalogy.html
For more see here:
http://forums.truthbeknown.com/viewtopic.php?t=2271

Music: Here is an Ancient Egyptian Anthem to the Moon. Originally it was played by priests, musicians and guided by highly evolved spiritual masters. It is thought to date from about 2500BC. http://shelterofclearlight.com/default.aspx Animation: http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk







No comments:

Post a Comment